Friday, February 25, 2011

Thai Red Curry!

Or as Stephen's mom would say it in her cute Sri Lankan accent, "cuddy". =)

I've gotten lots of requests for this recipe. It was always on the list of those dishes that I thought I would never be able to make just because it was soooo good and seemed so hard...and the first time I tried it, was an EPIC failure! We have a favorite Thai restaurant in Arlington- Thai House- their red curry is pretty much the best I have ever tried! Now I can make it at home whenever I want instead of driving to Arlington. We still visit often though- they have ann array of fantastic dishes!! The Drunken Noodles and fried rice is another favorite!

And of course.....because it's always fun to look cute while cooking.....

{coming from someone who used to change into a t-shirt to cook for fear of getting dirty}

There are lots of variations to this dish. If you have an aversion to fish sauce, you can use 2 tsp soy sauce instead {I always use fish sauce}. Also, never use sweetened coconut milk."Thai Kitchen" and "Taste of Thai" brands are not good beacuse the are sweetened. I usually use the ones what you can't pronounce the name. Those are usually the best! Also- I use Mae Ploy red curry paste from Central Market. Depending on what brand you use, they may taste different, so you'll need to start out with just 1 Tbsp curry paste and see how it tastes. I always use about 1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp. We like it hot! And remember, as with anything else- easy on the salt!!!  Too much will ruin this dish!


Thai Red Curry
This recipe serves 2-3 adults

First, Start with getting all of your ingredients together. This dish is fast-pace so you'll need to make sure everything is already handy. Make sure to slice your chicken as thin as possible. Have your carrots peeled and chopped and your bell pepper sliced before starting.

Ingredients:

Coconut oil (olive or veg. oil is fine, but coconut oil has the best flavor}
1 whole boneless/skinless chicken breast, sliced thin
One 13.5 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
1 Tbsp red curry paste, or more, if you like it hot
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp fish sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar
salt to taste
1 red bell pepper, sliced
3 med. carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2" pieces
3/4 cup frozen peas, slightly thawed
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for serving
Jasmine Rice, for serving

1. Cook jasmine rice according to package instructions. I always use the rice cooker.

2. Melt coconut oil in wok (or large pot) over medium heat.
3. Add chicken and cook while stirring. When chicken is a little over halfway cooked, add half of the coconut milk. Cook and stir until it thickens and starts bubbling.

4.  Whisk in the curry paste until combined and boil gently, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.

5. Add the water, the remaining coconut milk, fish sauce, brown sugar, and basil; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes; season to taste with salt {Remember- easy! I just use a pinch}


6. Add your vegetables and boil gently for about 2 to 4 minutes, until they are heated. Do not overcook, they will become mushy!

Serve over rice, and top with more fresh basil. Hope you enjoy it!!! If you have any questions just comment!

Happy cooking!

thai red curry, thai recipe, thai recipes, red curry, thai basil, thai recipes

6 comments:

Miss Haley Bradshaw said...

That looks DELICIOUS!!!!
Can I come over for dinner?

Busy as a Bee in Paris said...

looks delish! will have to try it out! thanks for sharing!

Rebecca@This Present Life said...

Hi Brittany! I was blog hopping today and saw your recipe at one of the link parties (sorry, can't remember which one) because I LOVE Thai Curry and I wanted to see if it was something I could actually make at home. Well, in addition to being excited about your recipe, I was so excited to see that you all are from FTW! So are we! So anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi from one Fort Worthan (?) to another! And thanks for the recipe ;)

A Pretty Life in the Suburbs said...

Mmm. Looks so good! I love curry, and have never tried to make it at home! I think it's time
Jo-Anna

Kendra Thaler said...

I am definitely going to give this a shot! My hubby LOVES curry and we both love Thai. Thanks for sharing!

Kathy Shea Mormino said...

Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/Clever-Chicks-Blog-Hop-12.html



I hope you can make it!

Cheers,

Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick